About Opportunity Inc.
Established in 2010, Opportunity Inc. is a non-profit organization dedicated to uplifting Black and Latino communities through vocational training, life skills development, and holistic support services, equipping individuals to thrive in their chosen fields.
Our structured coaching and mentoring approach, ensures students excel in their chosen fields.
Training Effect Statistics
Supporting Statistics, Data, and Anecdotal Evidence
High Unemployment Rates
- Statistics: According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Philadelphia's unemployment rate was 6.6% as of 2022, notably higher than the national average of 4.3%.
- Anecdotal Evidence: Many individuals who join our "From the Ground Up" vocational training programs come from a background of prolonged unemployment, emphasizing the immediate need for job training programs.
Lack of Access to Quality Education and Training
- Statistics: Data from the U.S. Census Bureau indicates that only 26.3% of Philadelphia residents have a bachelor's degree, compared to a 33.1% national average.
- Anecdotal Evidence: Participants in our programs frequently cite the lack of accessible training programs as a significant barrier to employment.
Workplace Soft Skills
- Statistics: Research from Harvard University, the Carnegie Foundation, and Stanford Research Center found that 85% of career success comes from having well-developed soft skills and people skills. Hard skills, including technical skills and knowledge, only make up 15% of career success.
- Anecdotal Evidence: At Opportunity Inc., we understand that technical skills alone are not enough to succeed in today's competitive job market. Hence, we place equal emphasis on developing essential life skills, emotional intelligence, and successful workforce traits.
Barriers to Entrepreneurship
- Statistics: According to a 2020 survey by the Small Business Administration, only 8% of small businesses in Philadelphia are new enterprises, indicating a lack of fresh entrepreneurship.
- Anecdotal Evidence: Through our consulting services, we encounter numerous individuals who desire to start businesses but are hampered by a lack of resources and knowledge.
Our commitment to empowering black and Hispanic individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds through construction trades vocational training has led to some incredible success stories.
One Such Story is That of Nicholas Torres:
Growing up in a low-income neighborhood, Nicholas faced numerous challenges and systemic barriers that hindered his access to quality education and employment opportunities. Nicholas's focus was on residential construction, thereby enrolling in our flagship "From the Ground Up" residential construction training course. Our dedicated team of instructors provided him with comprehensive training, covering not only technical aspects but also essential life skills such as communication and leadership.
Throughout the program, Nicholas had access to mentorship from experienced professionals in the construction industry. Upon graduation, Opportunity Inc. worked tirelessly to connect Nicholas with employment opportunities in his area. Eventually, Nicholas secured a construction project management position with a renowned construction company.
His journey from a disadvantaged background to a role of responsibility and influence is a testament to his hard work and the empowerment provided by Opportunity Inc. He now proudly serves as a coach and mentor for our current students and a role model for other individuals facing similar challenges.
Want to give back? We are always looking for great people to add to our team. Whether you provide administrative support, get your hands dirty on the construction site, mentor one of our students or donate financially to sustain our programs, we consider you a part of our team that helps to create opportunities for advancement.